Each year, on the second Saturday in May, the Depew and Lancaster postal branches participate in the Letter Carriers’ Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive. On that day, residents are asked to leave a donation of non-perishable food on their doorstep. Letter carriers will then pick up that food when they deliver mail. For several years, the food pantries in Depew and Lancaster, Tri-Community, Trinity and St. Martha’s, have been the recipients of the food collected on that day.
This year, the food drive will take place on Saturday, May 14th. We are organizing an event at the pantry on that day and we need your help.
We will be receiving food at the pantry via several means:
- Letter carriers will drop off food at the pantry
- Volunteers will drive along postal routes and collect food
- At the end of the day, volunteers will pick up any remaining food left at the postal facility
We have several jobs that we need filled that require little or no prior volunteering experience:
- Drivers, using their personal vehicles, to travel postal routes and pick up food
- Runners to ride along with drivers to go to each house and retrieve food
- Sorters at the pantry to unpack, organize, shelve and package food
The event will go from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Since this event will be an all day event, we will be splitting volunteer time into shifts of varying times. You are welcomed to participate for one or more shifts.
For currently registered volunteers, sign up sheets for each position and shift have been posted online to the Volunteer Portal. If you would like to volunteer for this event and you are not currently registered as a volunteer, click here to register.
Last year, our pantry received several thousand items which needed to be processed. We expect to receive the same amount of food this year. The more volunteers we have participating, the easier and more fun the day will be.
In recognition of National Volunteer Week, we want to take this opportunity to thank all of the women, men and young adults who volunteer in our pantry.
Without you, we would not exist.